The Model 5948 MicroTester offers solutions for industries faced with the challenges of testing small assemblies or miniature specimens by combining an ultra-high precision drive system with high-accuracy load measurement. The MicroTester has the ability to perform tension, compression, and low-cycle fatigue tests with a load force range of <2 mN up to 2 kN. Micro-position displacement control is obtained using a preloaded ballscrew drive system that is equipped with both a rotary encoder and a 20 nm resolution linear glass-scale encoder. The end result is a mechanical testing system that provides unparalleled control performance for short-displacement tests.
General Purpose Research
The Model 5948 MicroTester provides researchers with a precision instrument capable of performing numerous mechanical tests. For applications requiring precision control, high-load frame stiffness, high-drive system stiffness, and sensitive load measurement, the 5948 provides a superior platform for generating quality, reliable force-displacement data. Combined with Bluehill® Software, the possibilities are limitless.
The increasing use of implantable devices, engineered tissues, and small-scale devices, have generated a need for a entirely new range of small-scale testing. This typically requires the flexibility for testing with a variety of fixturing, specialty grips, and saline baths. The Model 5948 MicroTester can be used to test everything from sutures to tissue to stents and implantable devices – vertically or horizontally.
The MicroTester is well suited for applications commonly found in the semiconductor and electronics industries, such as die shear and pull tests of chips and IC’s, solder ball adhesion, tensile testing of thin composite fibers or fine wires, flex testing of circuit boards and substrates, peel tests of thin films and substrates, and a range of friction tests on small components.
- Force range for wide range of specimen sizes: <2 mN (0.2 g, 0.0004 lbf) to 2 kN (200 kgf, 450 lbf)
- Open and unobstructed workspace accommodates odd-shaped components
- High-stiffness load frame for accurate and repeatable test conditions
- Vertical or horizontal load frame positioning for flexible testing configurations
- Position resolution for ultra-precise displacement control: 20 nm (0.8 µin)
- Electromechanical (non-hydraulic) drive system is clean and quiet, and vastly stiffer than electrodynamic systems for greater control and resolution during sensitive tests